A Pillow Fight Gone Wrong

In English class, we were told to write a memoir. I found the task hard, because my life is a boring one. I finally chose a topic: when I broke my teeth. Here is my memoir, and I hope you enjoy!

I heard a bang, and then all I saw was black.

I was in Costa Rica with my family and my cousins. We had been having a great time up until that, and I was pretty happy. We were in the rain forest, and I could smell faint dampness in the air. We were staying in a pretty cheap hotel where we had our own little house. It had the most beautiful view of the forest. On that day my mom and aunt went to get the groceries, and my dad was in the shower. Me and my siblings, Talia and Jordan, went over to my cousin’s house.

`

Their house was very close by, so I didn’t take my shoes. I heard the screams from outside. I knew the moment I stepped into the house, this would be either awesome or terrible. My two cousins, Maddie and Mickie, were in a very big fight over a stuffed animal. They were both screaming at the top of their lungs: “It’s mine!” said Maddie. “No, it’s a he, and he’s mine!” said Mickie. That is how it went for a few minutes until they realized we were there. “Heyyyyy…” I said, somewhat embarrassed to have been listening to that. They ignored us and started whacking each other with pillows. Then my uncle joined the fray. “Pillow fight!” he screamed over them. He grabbed a pillow and then everyone just started whacking everyone. It was full-on war.

Pillows were flying everywhere. I didn’t know how I had gotten myself into this, but now that I was, there was no turning back. I smacked my pillow into my brother and ran around the room. I saw that one of the corners had a mini fridge, so I went over there. I felt a pillow hit me in the back of the head, I saw the mini fridge getting closer and closer until I saw it just inches from my face,there was a searing pain in my mouth, and then there was black.

After a minute, I saw a bunch of blurry faces standing over me. They were shouting words that I could not, or would not, understand. I was carried out of the house by my uncle to my dad, who was still in the shower. He came out right away, and I was still a bit hazy about what happened. I felt something weird in my mouth, though. I could hear my uncle explaining something to my dad, so I cleared the ringing in my ears and tried to listen in. “…and then there was a pillow fight, and I lost track of what happened, but I saw Jordan hit the back of Mara’s head into the fridge in the corner.” So that’s what happened, I thought. My dad asked me if I was ok, and I was about to respond when I turned the thing in my mouth over. I had tasted it somewhere before. I spit it out and had a good look at it. It was a kind of yellowish whitish colour. It had a weird shape to it too. It looked kind of like… “is that a tooth?” exclaimed my uncle. “No,” said my dad, who is a dentist. “If it is… it is only a part of a tooth.” I opened my mouth to respond, and my dad gasped. “Mara,” he said, “you might want to see this.” He handed me his phone, and I switched it to the camera. I didn’t see what they were talking about, only a little bit of blood on my lips. “Look at your teeth, Mara.” said dad. I opened my mouth and gasped. The gasp hurt, but I was too focused on my teeth. “What happened?” I asked in horror.

My front two teeth were broken. They were completely cracked in half. “Your front two incisors are the ones that broke.” my dad told me.I was trying and failing to stop the tears from falling down my cheeks. One stubborn one slipped away, and I was quick to wipe it off. “Why did it hurt when I gasped?” I asked. “Well,” explained my dad, “Your teeth broke at the root, which houses the nerves in your teeth. Your root is exposed, which means that you will be very sensitive to anything hot or cold.” “When will I get it fixed?” I demanded. “I don’t know, Mara. I don’t know.”

The rest of my trip was hell. It was Christmas, and none of the dentists were open. I had to drink out of the corners of my mouth, and it hurt even then. I had to deal with all of the looks, all of the comments. When I finally got home, I had to go straight to my dad’s office. There he bonded (Filled in) my teeth. He told me they were fixed, but that was not the case. My teeth hurt like hell whenever I drank anything cold. I had to drink room temperature water, which might have been the worst thing that had ever happened to me. It tastes dirty somehow. I kept telling my dad that my teeth hurt. We went around and around. “ I’m telling you, my teeth hurt!” “Stop being a baby and perk up!” This went on for about a year, when I finally couldn’t take it. I had a considerably bad pain in my teeth on the day of the CAT 4. As soon as the test was over, I went down to the office, and told Ellie to call my dad. I explained the problem, again, and he told me that my Zaydie would be coming to pick me up.

On the way to my dad’s office, I explained the problem to my Zaydie. “Sounds like you need a root canal.” he said. And he was right. When we got to the office, my dad looked again. He gave me these glasses that you plug into your phone and you can watch a movie. I watched Mission Impossible 1. It was a really good movie.  He also froze my teeth so it wouldn’t hurt, but I could still hear it. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard. After it was done, he put something in my mouth. It tasted like mint, but it was not too strong. I was sent back to school with a frozen mouth for the rest of the day. The End.

I chose this topic because it is one of the two biggest most monumental things that has happened to me. It was a big moment in my life, and it showed me how to stand up for myself, and how to get my brother in trouble. One of the lessons you can learn from my memoir is that brothers are terrible. He didn’t even get in trouble! If you are reading this, thank you, because I know that it was a long and hard story to get through. Now, I think that I’ve written enough for one day. Bye!!!

9 Comments
  1. Wow.
    That is such an outstanding story!
    What was it like from the day you got hurt moving forward? Did it get better or worse?
    Hopefully your brother got a pep talk after!
    -Audrey

• Thank you for commenting, Audrey,
      When I got hurt, I think it hurt so much because I was in shock. When I got home, It felt better for a while. I think that might have been placebo, though.

Thanks again,
      Mara

2. Hello Mara! this blogpost stood out to me because it felt like I was in the story. A question for you is if you are still mad at your brother for all of this??

3. Nice job Mara!
    I really like the hook that brings people in. When I read your memoir I just couldn’t stop reading it!
    Are you still mad or angry about what happened?

4. wow, mara that was great I liked the detail you went into. I was really Aemerst. how much did the root canal hurt like on a sale?

5. Dear Mara,

If I were to ever get knocked out by hitting my head, and crack my two front teeth, I’d want it to be with your family! With a doctor and a dentist on call 24/7…you’re always safe!

The build-up to the climax of your story was really great. Your foreshadowed the accident so well, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen.

I’m sorry you had to live with so much pain for so long. Was the root canal successful? Hopefully you don’t still have pain!

Thanks for sharing and making me smile (with all my teeth in tact 😉 )

Mrs. Thompson